Contest-Winning Summer Chicken Salad
I found this recipe many years a go in a church cookbook. It's special enough for a fancy dinner but easy enough to fix for a light lunch. There's a kick to the tangy citrus dressing, which even my picky son enjoys.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CITRUS DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Place chicken in a large skillet; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Drain; cover and refrigerate. In a large bowl, combine greens and sliced strawberries; refrigerate.
- In a blender, combine the hulled strawberries, orange juice, oil, lemon juice and lemon peel, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-6 minutes until slightly thickened. Cool slightly.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over greens and berries; toss to coat. Divide among four plates. Cut chicken into 1/8-in. slices; arrange over salads. Drizzle remaining dressing over chicken; sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 202 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Chicken Salad with Warm Citrus Dressing in Taste of Home June/July 2005