Contest-Winning Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cream, chicken, rice, mushrooms, pimientos and parsley; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 382 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 19, 2020
So delicious. Did make more than I thought. Now I have two more delicious meals in the deep freeze.
Jan 11, 2020
Ok I can’t tell you how many times I have made this for family, friends, 2yr old nieces (minus the almonds there), whomever. It is absolutely happy comfort food. I do make sure I season and bake the chicken enough to make it tasty in its own right. For that I use s
Oct 24, 2019
This is excellent! I combined some chicken both and white wine it was excellent!!
Oct 20, 2019
This recipe was good, my husband loves wild rice so he liked this dish. I didn’t have any half and half so used half can milk and half whole milk turned out good. Next time I’ll try it with half and half..
Feb 25, 2019
Very tasty! I accidentally grabbed whipping cream instead of half and half, but boy was it good! I also omitted mushrooms since I didn’t have them and used a diced red pepper in place of the pimentos. Added to our dinner rotation,
Feb 14, 2019
This is really good with home made garlic butter croutons on top. Yummmmmmm
Oct 13, 2018
A keeper! Family doesn't like mushrooms so didn’t add them. Used a wild rice mixed blend from Sprouts. Forget seconds, we are going for thirds!
Jul 14, 2018
If you have to cook the chicken AND the wild rice the prep time is NOT 20 min.
Jul 3, 2018
Really delicious! Followed the recipe as written except used a wild rice blend. Will definitely make again.
Apr 30, 2018
Wonderful. I used heavy whipping cream and chicken broth to cook the rice in. I used a whole package of almonds on top of the casserole. Husband loved it.