Contest-Winning Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cream, chicken, rice, mushrooms, pimientos and parsley; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 382 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 25, 2019
Very tasty! I accidentally grabbed whipping cream instead of half and half, but boy was it good! I also omitted mushrooms since I didn’t have them and used a diced red pepper in place of the pimentos. Added to our dinner rotation,
Feb 14, 2019
This is really good with home made garlic butter croutons on top. Yummmmmmm
Oct 13, 2018
A keeper! Family doesn't like mushrooms so didn’t add them. Used a wild rice mixed blend from Sprouts. Forget seconds, we are going for thirds!
Jul 14, 2018
If you have to cook the chicken AND the wild rice the prep time is NOT 20 min.
Jul 3, 2018
Really delicious! Followed the recipe as written except used a wild rice blend. Will definitely make again.
Apr 30, 2018
Wonderful. I used heavy whipping cream and chicken broth to cook the rice in. I used a whole package of almonds on top of the casserole. Husband loved it.
Sep 19, 2017
We liked this recipe. Next time I won't use salt in cooking the rice and then the salt that the recipe called for. Will omit the salt when cooking my rice. I only put mushrooms in half of the casserole so my kids would eat it :)
Aug 30, 2017
Really tasty! I used some left over sauteed mushrooms I had. Also I roasted some red peppers instead of using pimentos. Loved the creamy flavor. It was really hearty!
Mar 19, 2017
Very good recipe!
Feb 13, 2017
The four of us thought it was a good dish and we agreed that we would eat it again. I used a mixture of fresh mushrooms instead of canned and a fresh red bell pepper instead of pimentos. The pepper overpowered the other flavors - which was fine - but next time I'll try it without so the mushroom flavor can come through. Everyone had second helpings so I considered it a successful recipe for our family dinner.