Contest-Winning Wild Rice Apple Salad
"We have an apple orchard in our family, so I'm always looking for ways to use the fruit," writes Elaine Stichter of Milford, Indiana. "This crisp and crunchy dish is one of my favorite salads. Sometimes I double the batch so I have leftovers!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup cooked wild rice, chilled
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped apple
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon sunflower kernels
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash salt
- In a small bowl, combine the wild rice, apple, celery, currants and sunflower kernels. In another bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Drizzle over rice mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 130 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Crisp Apple-Rice Salad in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.