Steamed Lemon Broccoli
I first tried this sunny side dish because it seemed to be a fresh, nutritious and easy combination. Now it's the only way my husband will eat broccoli. I love to pair it with grilled meat on hot days. -Michelle Hanson, Oacoma, South Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. water to a boil; place broccoli in a steamer basket over the water. Cover; steam for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon zest and juice, salt if desired, pepper and broccoli; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 105 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Steamed Lemon Broccoli in Taste of Home June/July 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.