Contest-Winning Hash Brown Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 12 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired. Stir in the potatoes, cheese, onion, green pepper and ham.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 212 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 8, 2019
I thought my family would gobble this up, but I got no rave reviews. It seemed bland to me. I porbably won't make it again.
May 22, 2018
I used O’Brien frozen potatoes. Everyone loved this! A definite “keeper”!
Dec 28, 2017
Everyone seemed to like this dish except me. I thought it lacked seasoning.
Jun 27, 2017
This recipe is delightfully tasty and filling!!
May 25, 2017
This is a good casserole for a crowd for brunch. Easy to make and tasty. It did take me about an hour for it to be completely cooked.
Nov 22, 2011
A family favorite! Guests always ask for the recipe.
May 22, 2011
This is a great breakfast to make ahead of time for kids going to school. It could use a little kick, but I have one kid that won't eat spicy. You could always add some salsa while eating.
Dec 28, 2010
I made this casserole tonight for dinner. My husband and I thought it lacked something. It is very bland. Also the cooking time is off. It took 65 min in my new oven. Not sure I would ever make this again.
Oct 12, 2010
I made this for a brunch at church. I thought it was great as it is. My husband would prefer less potatoes and more ham. I will try with seasoned sausage next time.
May 23, 2010
Best breakfast casserole that I have ever made. I have even made it a day or so before and still turns out. I prefer bacon over the ham but everyone I have served, loves it!