Creamy Hash Brown Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 package (32 oz.) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 lb. process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed
- Fresh savory, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, sour cream, soup, 1/2 cup butter and onion. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Combine cornflakes and remaining butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Uncover, bake 10 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. If desired, garnish with savory. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 663 calories, 43g fat (27g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1359mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
May 17, 2018
I've made this for a long time, but I use potatoes O'Brien and cheddar cheese, no condensed soup.
Feb 18, 2018
this has been my go to potatoes for at least 15 yrs now (I saw it in TOH magazine when it came out). I just now thought to look to see if it's online so I could add it to my recipe box. I love these potatoes and I take them everywhere and other people love them too. I have friends ask me to bring these. The only difference is I use shredded cheddar cheese instead of velveeta, otherwise I make them as is. I occasionally add a can of french fried onions instead of the cornflakes.
Nov 15, 2017
I have made this potato casserole recipe for 25 years and is a family favorite. Instead of the velveeta, I use a can of cream of cheddar soup (undiluted) and add 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar. Sometimes I mix in cubed ham to make it a meal in itself. Delicious!
Jul 7, 2015
This is my "go-to" hashbrown casserole recipe. Really good and easy to make.
May 11, 2014
Love this casserole, my friend substitutes 1 sleeve crumbled ritz crackers with butter in place of cornflakes , much better taste for my family.
Dec 17, 2012
I have made this a few times for the Out of the Cold program that we make meals for. They absolutely love it! This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Jul 5, 2011
Whenever we have a family gathering, everyone is hoping this is one of the dishes being made. An all time favorite for anyone who has had it.
Apr 4, 2011
This was delicious. I used cream of celery soup I didn't have cornflake crumbs so I used crushed seasoned stuffing croutettes. I will definitely make this again!
Dec 27, 2010
My mom wanted a good hash brown casserole recipe. I found this one on your site. She made it for our Christmas dinner this year. Only exception, she left out the paprika. It was wonderful and everyone loved it.
Jan 8, 2010
This is such a great recipe. My family loves it! Instead of corn flakes, I substitued French's Fried Onions, and it made it even that much better!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.