Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 beef cube steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup water
- Place 1 cup flour in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs and 1/2 cup milk until blended. Sprinkle steaks with 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dip in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium heat. Add steaks; cook until golden brown and a thermometer reads 160°, 4-6 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from pan. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Gradually whisk in water and remaining milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with steaks.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 1/3 cup gravy: 563 calories, 28g fat (5g saturated fat), 148mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 46g protein.
Oct 11, 2019
I also add crushed saltine crackers like Cheryl's grandmother plus cayenne pepper to taste. Because I didn' t use the recipe as written, I gave it 3 stars
Mar 12, 2019
Excellent recipe reminded me of growing up on the farm. The only adjustment I made was putting the flour in a ziplock bag to coat the steak. Perhaps a bit messy for the hands, but worth the more even coat of flour.
Dec 26, 2018
This is the first meal my son asks for when he comes for a visit. I use buttermilk for the batter and add 1/4 tsp. paprika to the flour. Also, whole milk for the gravy. It's definitely not a low-cal meal, but great for an occasional treat.
Oct 23, 2018
This is a lovely recipe .... I like the large print, the color photo, and the recipe layout. Thank you!
Oct 17, 2018
I've made the recipe in the past and my entire family found it to be extremely tasteless and bland. We are not fans of extra spicy foo but this was not a "do again". I apologize to the person who submitted this recipe but it seems I am not alone in my estimation of this recipe.
Jun 8, 2018
The way to make white/cream gravy is to use equal parts fat to flour. If anything, a smidge more grease, but never more flour than oil! She used 2 T. oil and 4 T flour. Next, you want to cook the flour for 1 min. per Tbsp of flour... 2 T. flour, cook and stir 2 minutes to get rid of the flour taste. Salt and pepper well. Neither oil nor flour has any flavor. I add the liquid cup by cup. In the beginning you are going to have a gloppy mess and think it's ruined, but keep adding liquid. Whisk. Add more liquid, until it gets where you think it's pretty good. It will continue thickening as it cools. Taste and add more pepper, and possibly more salt. The liquid doesn't really matter... water, ff milk or canned milk, it's all good. It's the other things that matter more. Of course, the creamier the better. Have you ever seen a recipe that calls for Double milk? Evaporated milk is double milk. If you put equal parts of water, then it's regular milk. Another way to get double milk is to add powdered milk to regular milk. Makes it much creamier.
Jun 1, 2018
This is pretty awful . I made the steaks as written, except used garlic salt and pepper. Then on to the gravy.... OH MY WORD!!!!! How can anyone call this paste gravy? No flavor at all! I added a can of cream of mushroom soup, garlic salt and more pepper than called for, and it finally had some flavor!!
Apr 17, 2018
My grandmother was born in Missouri. She cooked in aa cast iron skillet and crushe up saltine crackers by hand the rest of the recipe is about the same. She put in flour first then egg then back in flour. It is the best chicken fried steak ever. I make this a lot. A lot restaurants make this wrong as they put brown gravy on top of it. You have to make chicken gravy (white)). Even in South Eastern Missouri I sent It back as they put brown beef gravy on top.
Dec 20, 2017
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My mother made her chicken fried steak the same way. The only thing she did differently was that she would add a small can of cream of mushroom soup into the pan to brown with the gravy flour. Once golden she would add the liquid. Yummy!
May 2, 2017
So simple and easy, and so delicious! I added just a bit (1/2 tsp) of garlic powder to the gravy, and a 1/4 tsp of coarse ground black pepper. Served with mashed potatoes.... no leftovers here.