Contest-Winning Bavarian Meatball Hoagies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 12 hoagie buns, split
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine meatballs, onion, brown sugar, soup mix and beer. Cook, covered, on low until meatballs are heated through, 3-4 hours.
- Place five or six meatballs on each bun bottom. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup cheese. Place on baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 643 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1302mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 18, 2019
OMG! This is soooooooooo good! Only made a half recipe for the 3 of us, and I was told to definitely make MORE next time! No changes needed with this one!
Oct 15, 2017
These were really easy to put together and everyone liked them.
Jan 20, 2017
These were a big hit for our family! Easy for a weeknight dinner. Great flavor! Thank you forsharing
Aug 26, 2016
I have two very picky eaters on my hands and these were a winner in their book. They ate them all up and even had leftovers the next day. Great flavor and an inexpensive meal to throw together in a hurry.
Feb 16, 2015
I thought this was a solid and different kind of recipe....I made around the holidays as a fast meal for guests. It was tasty and appealing, for the adults. I would make again, although stick with this for the grown ups.
May 12, 2013
My husband really liked them, kids not so much.
May 1, 2013
This recipe was fantastic! It was easy to cook using the slow cooker and my entire family loved it and asks for it often!
May 1, 2013
This recipe is excellent. My entire family loved it!
Jun 15, 2012
These have such great flavor i drizzled just a bit of ranch over the top and so yummy!!! These will also be great as just an appitizer will be making again for sure!!
Jun 20, 2011
I made these for a family reunion two years ago. Had so many great responses and requests for the recipe, that I'm making it again for another family reunion this year!!