Best Swedish Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 pound each ground beef, veal and pork
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and cream; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg, onion, parsley, salt, nutmeg and ginger. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer meatballs to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Scrape pan drippings into a small saucepan; stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth and coffee. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 371 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 7, 2017
Yes, great recipe. This is how I was taught. The coffee really makes the difference. Needs that bottom note to make them taste rich. Bravo!
Sep 11, 2015
This recipe is savory and delicious. I made this for the TOH ingredient challenge for coffee. The coffee makes the gravy a medium brown color and imparts a great depth of flavor...no, not coffee. I suggest as GoldieBell48 did that extra gravy is welcome. I served it with rice the first night and with mushroom mashed potatoes the second night. Thanks for your recipe.
Jan 21, 2014
These meatballs are our family favorite. I make extra gravy in case there are leftovers. We love the delicate spicing. Winter comfort food at it's best!
Apr 17, 2011
I made them last night for a pot luck and they were a big hit. The recipe I was familiar with used coffee to add flavor to the gravy. This recipe is very similar to the one I used to use. It is delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.