Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 slices process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread or Italian bread
- Additional process cheese (Velveeta) slices, optional
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, cheese, onion, bouillon and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until bouillon is dissolved and cheese is melted. Cut the bread in half widthwise and lengthwise. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spoon meat mixture into bottom halves of bread. Top with additional cheese if desired, green pepper and tomato. Replace bread tops. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Slice and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 456 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1168mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Jun 6, 2010
This is a favorite among the 'game watchers' my husband invites to our place during football season. I usually make two hoagies but I've made as many as six at a time!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.