Italian Sausage Hoagies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 10 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 loaves French bread (20 inches)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the spaghetti sauce, peppers, water, cheese, oregano and basil. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Slice each French bread lengthwise but not all of the way through; cut each loaf widthwise into five pieces. Fill each with sausage, peppers and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 509 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1451mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein.
Nov 27, 2013
WOW! YUM! I add a little sugar and 1/4 c red wine. My favorite spaghetti sauce to use with this recipe is Muir Glen, found in the organic section. Since finding this recipe, I've made it many times and it turns out delicious!
Aug 8, 2011
Would I make this again, absolutely! With the leftovers I served it over pasta. Key is a good Italian sausage.
Jul 11, 2011
I did not care for this very much. I think I prefer Italian sausage that are grillled instead.
Sep 5, 2010
Highly recommend giving this a try. I used teaspoons instead of tablespoons for the spices and added a sliced onion. Outstanding sandwich!
Feb 16, 2010
I like to substitute brats or hot dogs in this dish. Also, I use 2 tsps each of dried oregano and dried basil, NOT 2 Tbsp each. My finished dish is extremely flavorful - I would NOT want more than 2 tsps each of the dried herb amounts! -Lori in WI.
Nov 14, 2009
This is a great recipe. You can use the leftovers to make pasta with sausage and peppers. Just slice leftover sausage and serve over pasta with leftover sauce and peppers. Two meals for the work of one!
Mar 23, 2009
Looking for something that will impress the men? This recipe is excellent for "ANY" game! I love the slow cook method, making it look like I fussed all day...HA HA!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.