Contest-Winning Grilled Roast Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices Colby-Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese, divided
- 8 slices deli roast beef
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Garlic salt, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender; sprinkle with salt and pepper. On four slices of bread, layer two slices of cheese, two slices of beef and a fourth of the vegetable mixture. Top with the remaining cheese and bread.
- Butter outside of bread; sprinkle with garlic salt if desired. On a hot griddle or large skillet, toast sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 825 calories, 60g fat (32g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 1540mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Sep 8, 2012
Not bad, but for some reason some of these flavors didn't appeal to me. It was either the roast beef or the Swiss. Just personal preference. I don't think I'll want to eat it again.
Oct 22, 2011
Excellent recipe and so easy to make. Will make again.
Mar 23, 2009
Works great in a pinnini maker. A real husband pleaser.
Feb 20, 2009
These quickly became a family favorite for us. One of the best sandwiches ever!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.