Gourmet Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
These beef sandwiches were a tradition in my family on winter vacations after a long day of snow skiing, but they're a hit anytime we make them. Serving the savory barbecue beef on croissants with melty provolone cheese makes the sandwiches a little more special. —Katie Anderson, Vancouver, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours 5 min.
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 12 croissants, split
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Optional ingredients: Tomato slices, lettuce leaves and red onion slices
- Rub roast with salt and pepper. Place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Slice beef; return beef and cooking juices to slow cooker. Add barbecue sauce; heat through. Place croissant bottoms on a baking sheet; top with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Top with beef; if desired, serve with optional toppings. Replace croissant tops.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 511 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.