Gourmet Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
These beef sandwiches were a tradition in my family on winter vacations after a long day of snow skiing, but they're a hit any time we make them. The savory barbecue beef on croissants with melty provolone cheese make sandwiches seem a little more special. —Katie Anderson, Vancouver, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours 5 min.
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 12 croissants, split
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Optional ingredients: Tomato slices, lettuce leaves and red onion slices
- Rub roast with salt and pepper. Place in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Slice beef; return beef and cooking juices to slow cooker. Add barbecue sauce; heat through. Place croissant bottoms on a baking sheet; top with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Top with beef; if desired, serve with optional toppings. Replace croissant tops.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 511 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Gourmet BBQ Beef Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious June/July 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.