BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each bun. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve in buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 284 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Aug 9, 2015
These are great, one of the few recipes that doesn't need adjusting!
Mar 3, 2015
These were quite delicious! I will make these again.
May 12, 2014
I made this for lunch yesterday and this was deliciousI added extra sauce me and my husband enjoyed it
May 3, 2014
Very happy that I doubled the recipe - it is delicious! Only change I made was that I didn't add the apple cider vinegar since I didn't have any on hand & I added about a tablespoon of honey dijon mustard. I will make it the same way next time.
Nov 13, 2013
My family absolutely loved this meal. It was perfect just the way it is.
Apr 14, 2012
My enntire family loves this recipe and I always have to make a double batch which is fine with me because then I have leftovers for lunch! Yummy
Apr 1, 2012
This has become a regular in our house, we love it. I sauteed the veggies in olive oil instead of butter.
Mar 16, 2012
I made this lastnight for dinner. A total of 4 people and i can not tell you how much they loved it. I had to double the ingredients slighty, hungry eater's were coming over. I would not change a thing about this recipe. The flavor can be played with depending on how spicy you want it/ Very fun and I will be definitely be making this again. I'm considering trying the recipe with a shredded pork.
Aug 11, 2011
My son RAVED about these sandwiches and thinks they're even better than barbecued beef or sloppy Joes! I did add about a half a teaspoon of liquid smoke, but other than that, followed the recipe exactly. A couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts yielded enough meat to make six sandwiches, so it's economical too. I loved the crunch of the celery. Add a few potato chips and a dill pickle spear on the side and you feel like you're eating in a sandwich shop!
Mar 27, 2011
I didn't have onion on hand, so I used chives and garlic powder instead. I also don't care for celery, so I substituted celery seed. I served it with slices of baguette instead of on a bun as well and it was delicious! Will definitely make again!