Slow-Cooked Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sandwich buns, split
- Sliced onions, dill pickles and pickled jalapenos, optional
- Cut roast in half and place in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, liquid smoke if desired and seasonings. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- Shred beef with two forks; return to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Serve with onions, pickles and jalapenos if desired.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth / water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 458 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Dec 4, 2019
This recipe is fantastic. I use a 3lb flat cut of brisket instead of a chuck roast and change a half cup of the ketchup to whataburger spicy ketchup for extra kick.
Jan 29, 2018
Wonderful balance....whole family loved it.
Sep 22, 2017
Loved the recipe, but tweaked a few things to my family's liking. First off, I didn't have time to wait 10 hours to eat. So I did cut my beef in half and cooked on high for 3 to 4 hours. Done. Delicious, tender, & juicy still. Also, in the ingredients, I added double the liquid smoke, 2 tsp cayenne, and used sweet baby rays spicy bbq sauce. Served on toasted buns with mustard, pickles, and pickled jalepenos with a few dashes of hotsauce on top. DELICIOUS bbq recipe. #welikeitspicy
Sep 1, 2017
absolutely the best this came out perfect it even tastes good cold...sliced onions and bell pepper on the bottom blend perfectly together Love it.....
Jul 31, 2017
Delicious and easy. Great weeknight meal!
Sep 9, 2016
Wonderful recipe! I place two onions, sliced, in the bottom of the crock pot before I put the meat in. I also use about 1 cup barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup of ketchup. Makes great sandwiches served alongside coleslaw and beans. A real keeper!
Jul 10, 2016
Great recipe. I put ketchup, mayo and pickles on my sandwiches...they were fantastic.
Mar 19, 2016
Really tasty. I would do it again.
Feb 14, 2016
Love the BBQ sauce for this. I've used it for both beef and pork.
Nov 21, 2015
I used Stubb's Sticky Sweet and added jalapenos and onions and some fresh garlic. Super good.