Slow-Cooker BBQ Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 6 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the joint of each leg quarter to separate into 2 pieces. Place chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; pour into a measuring cup to measure 2 cups. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 179 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 392mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 26, 2019
Very Good! But, where are the onions? I added one chopped onion and left out the oil.
Feb 19, 2018
This was an easy chicken recipe to make and my husband and son both really enjoyed it. We will make this again. I made it for Super Bowl Sunday.
May 26, 2017
I used 2 leg quarters and made half the sauce. It came out very well. Like others, I would reduce or exclude the oil next time.
Sep 9, 2016
Used boneless skinless thighs about 12 or so and it turned out great. I like to try that goes in a slow cooker and this is a keeper. Family loved it
Jul 4, 2016
Made this recipe yesterday using 4 lbs of chicken thighs (8 thighs). I doubled the sauce recipe. My husband said it is a WINNER and don't lose the recipe!. I just might make the sauce recipe (thickening it, of course) to use for pulled pork or on spareribs. It is the right mix of sweet and tangy.
Jun 27, 2016
This was very good! I used 8 boneless/skinless thighs and it was done in about 5 hours. Next time I will cut way back on or eliminate the oil completely. It really didn't need to be there. It's a very different BBQ flavor but we really enjoyed it.
Jun 16, 2016
We loved the sauce....probably don't need as much oil though.
Feb 26, 2016
I made this. It was easy and fun. And probably could do without the 1/4 cup of oil. The taste and flavor was unlike anything I ever experienced. Yum. Tender fall off the bone chicken.
Feb 23, 2016
Chicken was nice and moist - but it becomes very challenging to eat with so many bones, etc. to filter through. The sauce flavour was ok.
Feb 22, 2016
I cut the recipe in 1/2 to fit in my mini crock pot for one. It tastes good, probably would use less brown sugar next time. Used red wine and some basalmic vinegar in place of wine vineegar which I don't keep in the pantry..