Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 hoagie or submarine sandwich buns or French rolls
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce, olives, basil and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese inside each shell. Fill each with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, gently pressing down to flatten. Replace bread tops.
- Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen hoagies: Place foil wrapped hoagies on baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 611 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1144mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Jun 2, 2018
The only thing that makes this recipe even better is the freeze option!
Mar 29, 2010
These sandwiches just saved my day! I made extra and had some in the freezer. Someone in our house ate what I had in the refrigerator at lunch, so I needed something to feed them! We really enjoy these sandwiches anytime!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.