Midnight Caribbean Pork Sandwiches
These sandwiches are so tasty! They’ve got depth of flavor – savory, sweet, piquant, subtle and sublime. They’re super easy to make and worth the (slow cooker) wait. —Elizabeth Bennett, Mill Creek, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) amber beer or 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 7 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add beer, brown sugar, 8 garlic cloves, cumin, 5 teaspoons chipotle peppers, salt and pepper; cook and stir until combined.
- Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour onion mixture over meat. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, cilantro, remaining 2 garlic cloves and chipotle peppers. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and 1 cup juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return pork and reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with avocado and mayonnaise mixture.
- Freeze option: Place shredded pork and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently. Add a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 484 calories, 29g fat (7g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Midnight Caribbean Pork Sandwiches in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.