Midnight Caribbean Pork Sandwiches
These sandwiches are so tasty! They’ve got depth of flavor – savory, sweet, piquant, subtle and sublime. They’re super easy to make and worth the (slow cooker) wait. —Elizabeth Bennett, Mill Creek, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) amber beer or 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 7 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add beer, brown sugar, 8 garlic cloves, cumin, 5 teaspoons chipotle peppers, salt and pepper; cook and stir until combined.
- Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour onion mixture over meat. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, cilantro, remaining 2 garlic cloves and chipotle peppers. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and 1 cup juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return pork and reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with avocado and mayonnaise mixture.
- Freeze option: Place shredded pork and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently. Add a little broth if necessary.