Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer or cola
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Place roast in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add root beer; cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Discard cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce. Cook, covered, until heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve on rolls. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 453 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 907mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 15, 2018
dont waste your time on this recipe. i followed the directions and got nothing but a tasteless piece of meat. it was also difficult to chew and i had to spit it out. even the bbq sauce could save it. ten bucks down the drain.
Apr 9, 2018
When I make this, I mix a Tablespoon each of salt and chili powder, rub the pork with it, and sear it on all sides before putting it in the crockpot. I would highly recommend this step. I didn't do it one time, thinking it wouldn't make that much difference, but it sure does! I also use just 1 C. of barbeque sauce.
Aug 29, 2017
The pork turned out nice and tender- very tasty! I did add some beef broth for a little more moisture but otherwise very good!
Jul 12, 2017
Very tender. Definitely need the barbecue sauce for flavoring.
May 24, 2017
The Best Pulled Pork Ever! My husband isn't usually a fan, but absolutely loved this! I used the cheap Walmart Root Beer. I tossed all the juices & removed the fat. It tore apart nicely! I used our Favorite BBQ sauce that could make the difference for the ones who like spice. I used Head Country, Original. Warmed it & just used Sesame Seed Hamburger buns. Served with Cole Slaw. Total perfection! I will make often & for guests!
May 24, 2017
Sorry, not for my family. Way too sweet, we like it with some spice
Apr 18, 2017
Could not have been easier to make this and the pork was so moist. Just add your favorite sauce and you are ready for a delicious meal! I did keep some pork, and some of the juice, out to use another day in carnitas and that worked beautifully too - added seasonings and put in soft corn tortillas with our favorite toppings - wonderful!
Mar 26, 2017
I couldn't taste the root beer at all, and it didn't do anything special for my roast like make it extra moist. Good thing this has barbecue sauce or else it would be flavorless!
Mar 12, 2017
This was so easy to make and I was surprised at how moist and tender the pork was. I used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ and also added a chopped onion during the last hour. Both of my kids & my husband loved it it so will definitely be making this again!
Feb 22, 2017
Good recipe although the Root Beer flavor wasn't as strong as I would've liked.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.