Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, water, salt, pepper and, if desired, pepper flakes. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, tomatoes, onion, peppers and pickle relish. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 138 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 29, 2018
Love this recipe! It is a nice change from traditional slaw.
Jul 27, 2016
I really enjoyed this recipe.its a cool and refreshing change from mayonnaise slaw. Sharon I noticed your from Mayfield, I'm a Paducah girl but live in Los Angeles now any way that's for sharing your recipe.
Jul 27, 2016
The dressing sounds like the one that my Mother used on her 3-Bean salad. I will have to try this one.
Jul 14, 2016
Excellent recipe. I've also made the "sister recipe" without the cole slaw, but adding sliced celery, shoepeg corn, and french green beans to the rest of the stated ingredients. Both recipes are delicious. The dressing in the recipe is so good, but as another person stated, you need to use a slotted spoon when serving it. Definitely let it all sit in the refrigerator overnight for the flavors to blend.
Jul 22, 2012
Really like this as a change from mayo coleslaw. Added one shredded cucumber and tomatoes from the garden right before serving.
Aug 1, 2010
Needed a slaw recipe without mayonnaise for a late July cookout. Guests really liked it but use a slotted spoon. Taste great without all the liquid.
Oct 14, 2009
Lost this 2005 very good slaw recipe----today we were reunited.