This is a delectable dish that looks as good as it tastes. Mother usually saved this recipe for special occasions, but when she did make it, we sure enjoyed it. The best part is the mouthwatering dressing that even tempted us while it cooked.—Mary McGuire, Graham, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, pimientos, green pepper and onion; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 103 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Marinated Slaw in Taste of Home April/May 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 24, 2009
i made it for work christmas potluck and printing the recipe for my fellow workers now!
Sep 8, 2009
I've prepared this recipe many times and it's always a hit. Thanks