Honey Pulled Pork Subs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 submarine buns, split
- Place onion and roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, water, honey, garlic, seasoned salt and ginger; pour over meat. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns. Cut sandwiches in half. Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on a bun.
Nutrition Facts1/2 sandwich: 417 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 867mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 16, 2016
I made this for a birthday party for my wife. we had 6 friends over. we all loved it with a slice of onion and sliced dills.
Oct 9, 2015
I am making this recipe, however, I will season my pork roast over night before cooking. Adds more flavor (This is for 2princess2luv who needs more flavor) You can modify recipe to suit you and your family's needs. Personally, I like to brown my pork shoulder before I put in crock pot, I hate just raw and no browning in oven before cooking. I will also use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce, however, I will not add the honey, I will however add Worcestershire sauce , adds great flavor. YUM, Will come back add another review after I make this, I know it will be DYNOMITEEEE....lol.....lol......
May 18, 2015
I used a 3 lb pork shoulder butt roast and made the recipe as is. It fell apart after five hours in the slow cooker. The only downside for us would be I used Sweet Baby Ray's Original bbq sauce, which we normally love, but for this recipe found it way too sweet. Added creamy coleslaw on top of the pork for each bun and it added a nice flavour as well. Will definitely try this one again using a difference bbq sauce and fresh ginger instead of dry. Very easy and it would be great to serve company.
Feb 9, 2015
It was pretty good when preparing of a supper for both mild and spicy fellows. The spicy people can add some jalapenos or other hot peppers to get the extra punch! (Like me!)
Oct 26, 2014
This was just ok to us. Needed more flavor for our tastes.
Oct 21, 2014
I haven't made it yet but I KNOW it will be delicious - but I need to know, what is 'seasoned salt' ? If I can't find that, can I season it myself and if so, with what? Thank you in advance.
Sep 29, 2014
A good barbecue recipe. The honey adds a subtle sweetness to create a mild sauce.
Jul 17, 2014
Very easy! Turned out perfect! I used chicken broth instead of water, omitted ginger and used Famous Dave's spice rub in the bbq sauce. Will make again
Apr 30, 2014
Loved this recipe. It's so easy.
Mar 19, 2014
Made this yesterday-so easy and a big hit!!