Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, mix the first 11 ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over top.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve in buns.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 296 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Jul 3, 2018
This was such a simple and tasty dish. It took just minutes to mix up the sauce and toss it all in the slow cooker. The sauce has simple flavors that don't overpower the senses, and the chicken is moist and delicious. This one is a keeper.
Feb 27, 2017
I cheated and used rotisserie chicken since I had some to use up. I am always on the lookout to make my own BBQ sauce; I had to pour KC BBQ sauce into the homemade sauce so my family would eat it. They're spoiled and it has to taste like KC BBQ. I will say that this is an easy recipe and others might love it.