Southern Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain and chill. Add eggs, onions and pickles; toss well. Stir in mustard, celery seed and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Chill until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 377 calories, 26g fat (4g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 28, 2018
Added about 3-4 tablespoons of mustard and used sweet pickle relish as that was what I had on hand and it was really a great salad! Will make again....and again....and again! The mustard really gives it the kick it needed.
Aug 15, 2015
Great Recipe! I used Sweet - Hot pickles and spicy mustard. This is the 3rd time I've made this potato salad it it just keeps getting better!! Now one of my favorites!
Mar 10, 2015
No green onions substituted yellow onions and added sweet relish instead of pickles. Only my second time making potato salad and it was relish!
Jul 3, 2014
This was very good, added a bit more mustard for our taste and chopped celery with the addition of celery salt. Took as a pot luck and brought home empty bowl.
Aug 17, 2009
Oh I forgot to say, I also add yellow mustard or Horseradish mustard also to mine. Freda, From Vancouver, WA.
Aug 17, 2009
I have made this salad for years. It is a tried and true one. I often substitute dill pickles or dill relish for the sweet pickles. I uise this same dressing for my macroni salads too. and always get YUMMMY coments. freda a Transplant to Vancouver, Wa. from Savannah, georgia.