Mama’s Potato Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes with onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes; toss well. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 231 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 24, 2018
I haven’t made this yet, but was wondering why you put sugar in the salad? Can it be eliminated?
Jun 4, 2018
Been making this for years pass down from family as well idk about celery being it never had but added bacon bits n relish then sprinkle some bacon on top for garnishment with the eggs sliced on top.
May 27, 2018
This is a good recipe. I thought it was a bit too sweet so I added chopped dill pickles. Also added celery...potato salad MUST have celery. I liked the idea of mushing the egg yolk into the dressing. Good idea since the yolks usually get lost into the body of the salad. Now that it has rested and chilled, I think it is not too sweet. Very good salad.
May 27, 2018
This is fabulous! I realized as I made this that it is similar to deviled eggs. We are a no/low sodium home so I eliminated the salt. Still tastes great!
May 26, 2018
This is the way I make it except for the boiled eggs. I do include celery. Only good comments
May 24, 2018
Mar 6, 2018
I'm curious why there is no celery is in this potato salad. I always have celery in mine. There is too much mustard in this recipe.
Mar 5, 2018
Try 1/4 cup or less of regular milk! We also add 1/2 c diced celery (or celery seed 2 tsp) and about a 1/2 c to 3/4 c of sweet pickle relish! Devine! Mid-West (Ohio) is where I was raised and still live!
Mar 5, 2018
This is very similar to the potato salad my mother made as well, except no milk, and just chopped up the eggs, no separating them. Nice to have proportions as my mom just added a little of this a little of that!
Feb 15, 2018
That's the my mother made it just like that . And that's the only way I eat it see my mother was from sherfield Alabama and my father they they came to Chicago 1930 and later marry 1946 and then came us my siblings and me baby girl in the family our parents stay in Chicago all us born in Chicago . I finally have friend like you I Love mutards potatoes salads your Anne Maria Kimble
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.