Golden Apple Potato Salad
This is a wonderful variation on an American summertime standby. Since Idaho is the potato state and a lot of apples are also grown here, I thought this would be an excellent recipe to represent my area.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, cubed
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, mustard, garlic and salt.
- Peel warm potatoes and slice into a large bowl; add the bacon and onion. Pour dressing over potato mixture; gently toss to coat. Fold in apples. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 257 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 392mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Golden Apple Potato Salad in Country Extra September 2001
Jun 15, 2010
I found adding an apple is really good. And this recipe pretty much follows mine except for the bacon; which I will try the next time.
Aug 11, 2008
I live in Germany and a resturant we go to puts apples in their salad and I have since