Southern-Style Chicken Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- In a small saucepan, combine the egg yolks, sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in butter until melted. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Stir in milk and mayonnaise. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dressing and toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein.
Aug 8, 2013
The dressing I was skeptical about, but ended up loving it! I added a smidge more mayo, mustard and milk because i added so baby peas and small shell pasta. I didn't have celery so I subbed 2 mini sweet peppers, yellow and red. with all the additions its also a colorful dish!! Very yummy too, eating now!!