Baked Mac and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1/3 cup butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in macaroni. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 689 calories, 37g fat (22g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 834mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2018
Made at the last minute and had to leave out onions for one of the guests. It was awesome - "addicting" was the word that my daughter-in-law used. Definitely going in my "favorites" category. Thank You
Dec 26, 2016
A very good Mac and Cheese! I added a little freshly grated nutmeg and cayenne, as I always do when I make Mac and Cheese. I added crumbled bacon (that I had on hand from another recipe) , crushed potato chips, and more cheese to the topping.
Jun 16, 2016
This was good, but it seemed like something was missing from the topping (though I did use gluten-free bread crumbs). If I make again, I would use seasoned bread crumbs.
Feb 10, 2016
I have been looking for a great tasting mac and cheese recipe for a long time. This one surpasses all I have tried. I would definitely make it again. My husband loved it as well.
Sep 26, 2015
I made this using gluten-free ingredients (noodles, flour, etc.) and it was amazing!!! Definitely a "bake and take" for church functions!! I love it.
Aug 3, 2015
My husband and I both really loved this recipe! I cut it in half and added Velveeta cheese in as well. Next time I may even add leftover ham in too.
Aug 2, 2015
Made this for a potluck, and I thought it tasted great, except for the onions. I would use about half the amount of onions next time.
Nov 28, 2014
Made this yesterday for thanksgiving. The only things I changed were that I added 2 cups of elbow noodles and 1 extra cup of cheese. It turned out AMAZING!! everyone loved it. It will definately be on the list for holiday side dishes from now on :)
Oct 8, 2014
It was okay. I didn't like the onions so much, and I think it needed a little more salt for my taste.
Sep 7, 2014
It's not done baking yet, but I couldn't get enough of the cheese sauce. It has to be the best tasting cheese sauce I've ever made and it's very creamy. I kept eating the left over sauce in the pan before washing it. I changed some parts about this, I always use Dijon Mustard for cheese sauce. And I used Mild Cheddar instead of sharp, I think it allows me to use less salt. All I did was a dash of salt and pepper and it tasted perfect. That was ALOT of cheese! I didn't put all of it in the sauce, and instead sprinkled it on top with the bread crumbs. Also, I thought a whole stick of butter was a lot...So I didn't do the butter and bread crumb thing.