Country Chicken with Gravy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon sherry or additional condensed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place milk in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in cornflake mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until a thermometer reads 170°, 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk, broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in chives. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 2 tablespoons gravy: 274 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2016
My son had me make this recipe twice in one week. It's a great meal. The only thing I did was double the gravy. I love homemade gravy. Thanks for a quick and delicious recipe.
Nov 8, 2015
This is an excellent simple recipe that had my family loving every part of it. I am going to try it again tonight but sub the chicken for pork chops and try to extend the great gravy.
Jul 22, 2014
I substituted leftover panko and herb stuffing (crushed) and topped that off with Italian bread crumbs to make 3/4 C. The gravy was great. I gave this a 4 rather than a 5 because the chicken was nearly burned on the stove before it was anywhere near being done. I finished it off in the microwave. Next time I will bake the chicken. The flavor and crunch were really good.
Jun 15, 2014
I really liked the chicken itself. The gravy was good, but I'm wondering if next time I should add garlic powder or a different herb. My husband loved the crunchy chicken.
Apr 5, 2014
Wonderful!! I baked it as well and it was good and crispy, and the gravy was excellent!
Dec 2, 2012
I made this and my hubby & I both liked it a lot so its a keeper! I paired it with the Garlic Mashed Potatoes (made from Hungry Jack flakes) on your website. Delicious, quick and easy!!
Nov 10, 2012
Really liked this. I love gravy, especially in the fall and winter months. This is so easy to make and fast, a great weeknight meal. I paired it with Barley Risotto (also from this site) and it was a fabuloius dinner. Definately recommend!!!
Oct 7, 2012
Kids loved it. Will make it agin.
Sep 20, 2012
I thought this was just "okay". I thought the gravy was too salty for my taste.
Aug 27, 2012
Oh yum! Had this for supper tonight and everyone loved. The cornflakes gave a nice crunchy texture and are a nice change from bread crumb coated chicken. I modified the recipe a bit to feed my family of 6. The chives added such a nice flavor to the creamy gravy. I served this over mashed potatoes, and was the perfect meal without leaving you too full. Will be making again.