Country Chicken with Gravy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon sherry or additional condensed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place milk in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in cornflake mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk, broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chives. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breat half with 2 tablespoons gravy: 274 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 19, 2016
My son had me make this recipe twice in one week. It's a great meal. The only thing I did was double the gravy. I love homemade gravy. Thanks for a quick and delicious recipe.
Nov 8, 2015
This is an excellent simple recipe that had my family loving every part of it. I am going to try it again tonight but sub the chicken for pork chops and try to extend the great gravy.
Jul 22, 2014
I substituted leftover panko and herb stuffing (crushed) and topped that off with Italian bread crumbs to make 3/4 C. The gravy was great. I gave this a 4 rather than a 5 because the chicken was nearly burned on the stove before it was anywhere near being done. I finished it off in the microwave. Next time I will bake the chicken. The flavor and crunch were really good.
Jun 15, 2014
I really liked the chicken itself. The gravy was good, but I'm wondering if next time I should add garlic powder or a different herb. My husband loved the crunchy chicken.
Apr 5, 2014
Wonderful!! I baked it as well and it was good and crispy, and the gravy was excellent!
Dec 2, 2012
I made this and my hubby & I both liked it a lot so its a keeper! I paired it with the Garlic Mashed Potatoes (made from Hungry Jack flakes) on your website. Delicious, quick and easy!!
Nov 10, 2012
Really liked this. I love gravy, especially in the fall and winter months. This is so easy to make and fast, a great weeknight meal. I paired it with Barley Risotto (also from this site) and it was a fabuloius dinner. Definately recommend!!!
Oct 7, 2012
Kids loved it. Will make it agin.
Sep 20, 2012
I thought this was just "okay". I thought the gravy was too salty for my taste.
Aug 27, 2012
Oh yum! Had this for supper tonight and everyone loved. The cornflakes gave a nice crunchy texture and are a nice change from bread crumb coated chicken. I modified the recipe a bit to feed my family of 6. The chives added such a nice flavor to the creamy gravy. I served this over mashed potatoes, and was the perfect meal without leaving you too full. Will be making again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.