Southern Fried Okra
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Pat okra dry with paper towels. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry okra, a few pieces at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 368 calories, 31g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 26, 2017
I'm giving this a 5-star because it's almost exactly the way I make okra. A few tips I've found work well - after you coat the okra in buttermilk, spoon or pour it into a colander so that some of the buttermilk drains off. The buttermilk will still coat the okra but will be less messy to work with. You can put the flour/cornmeal into a large zip-bag ( I usually use about 1/3 cup of each). Put in a large handful of okra at a time and give it a good shake. Take it out of the bag with a slotted spoon (or just your hand) and put it on a cake rack set atop a plate while you coat the rest. The coating excess will remain in the plate and will keep the oil from getting too dark. One more thing - if you can find a small bottle of "Soul Food Seasoning" in the spice department, grab it up and shake a hearty portion of it into the bag of coating instead of the garlic herb. It's delicious w/ okra.
Jul 24, 2017
I want to try this recipe but why can't I put these recipes in my recipe box?
Apr 6, 2017
Down here in SC we call it Southern popcorn. A big bowl and a ball game cannot be beat! I usually buy frozen from a local source in my grocery but I'm gonna try this recipe since I grow okra. (I got problems with corn meal but have a trouble finding corn "flour")
Jan 2, 2017
My family loves fried okra. This recipe is one of the best ones. We love the texture of the batter.
Jan 19, 2015
These were okay, but personally I like a little more flavor on my breading.
Sep 13, 2013
Made exactly as directed. The best fried okra I've ever eaten...light, crispy and flavorful!
Aug 31, 2011
I've never made okra before but had some fresh from the farmers market and wanted to try it. I didn't have any cornmeal so I used corn muffin mix and I didn't have buttermilk so I made it with whole milk and vinegar. It turned out great! We loved it and this will be my go to recipe for fried okra!