Country Turnip Greens
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3/4 pound lean salt pork or bacon, diced
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh turnip greens, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook salt pork until lightly browned. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the reserved drippings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are tender.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 317 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 2, 2014
This is a good recipe. But I made it better for my taste by using 1 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of water. I use a little extra sugar as well. I also like to mix mustard greens in with the turnip greens.
Jun 23, 2014
Turnip greens are just so bitter, maybe if I liked turnip greens it would be good,
Feb 29, 2008
My husband loves turnip greens and waxed nostalgic about those his grandmother fixed. I never cared for turnip greens and never attempted to prepare them until I found this recipe. Guess what? Now I'm a turnip-greens fan and hubby eats this dish with great pleasure.