Country Turnip Greens
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 3/4 pound lean salt pork or bacon, diced
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh turnip greens, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook salt pork until lightly browned. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the reserved drippings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are tender.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 317 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 2, 2014
This is a good recipe. But I made it better for my taste by using 1 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of water. I use a little extra sugar as well. I also like to mix mustard greens in with the turnip greens.
Jun 23, 2014
Turnip greens are just so bitter, maybe if I liked turnip greens it would be good,
Feb 29, 2008
My husband loves turnip greens and waxed nostalgic about those his grandmother fixed. I never cared for turnip greens and never attempted to prepare them until I found this recipe. Guess what? Now I'm a turnip-greens fan and hubby eats this dish with great pleasure.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.