Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup small fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 425°. Unroll pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface, roll to a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; trim and flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion, mushrooms, broccoli and peppers until mushrooms are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, cream and salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over crust; top with spinach and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Pour in egg mixture.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. (Cover edge loosely with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning.) Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's Note Based on your reviews we decided to take a second look at this recipe. After retesting we decreased the volume of egg mixture and the volume of veggies to fit in the dish better, increased the salt and added pepper for more flavor and started baking it at a higher temperature on a lower oven rack to get the bottom of the crust cooked through.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 347 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Jun 5, 2018
This quiche is absolutely delicious! Baking it on the bottom rack at a higher temperature at first really made the bottom crust crispy. I made two of them, following the recipe exactly for each. Great way to use up produce from the fridge. I used pie shields on each quiche and they came out perfect. We absolutely loved this recipe and will make again!Volunteer Field Editor
Nov 14, 2017
I have made this twice so far. The first time I followed the recipe exactly for the filling since I did not make my own crust. The bottom of the crust was mushy. The second time I prebaked the crust and used 4 eggs with 1 cup half & half. This time I had trouble getting the crust out of the pan. The quiche itself is very good topped with some salsa. I will make again, but maybe crustless or used crescent rolls instead.
Apr 9, 2016
This was tasty, but I did add 1 tsp. of kosher salt and a 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper to the vegetables as I sauteed them. I also added a 1/2 tsp. of coarsely ground black pepper to the egg mixture. I split the vegetables and egg mixture between two, 9-inch pie pans. I sprinkled 1 C. of cheese over the vegetables in each pan. Next time, I think I will try blind baking the pie crusts first to prevent the vegetables from making the bottom crust soggy.
May 20, 2015
Loved this but added more salt, pepper and fresh minced garlic (2 cloves), a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a pinch of dried red chili peppers. It gave it just the kick it needed. Also didn't have orange peppers so used some green peppers. Did not cut down on the amount of vegetables. It made 2 regular depth 9" pies. A deep dish one would have been nice too! Maybe would take a little longer to cook though.
Mar 9, 2015
I can see the possibilities for this dish, but it certainly needed more seasoning. As one of the reviewers said, salsa would be a great addition.
Feb 28, 2015
I did not like this very much. It definitely needs more seasoning.
Feb 11, 2015
Delicious! I added salt, pepper and fresh garlic to the vegetables as other users suggest. It definitely makes two pies and I even cut back on the vegetables (used half the broccoli and onion, half a green and red pepper only). My pie crusts were not deep dish however.
Jan 9, 2015
I used egg beaters and cheese. works wonderful and lowers the calories and cholesterol. I agree about the 2 pies. family loves this on Sundays.
Dec 3, 2014
Delicious! It makes two full pies. My kids love it, too. Great for dinner or brunch!
Jul 7, 2014
Added bell peppers and garlic to the onion mixture. Followed the rest of the recipe...delicious
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.