Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- For filling, sprinkle pastry with bacon. Whisk eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg until blended; stir in cheese. Pour over top.
- Bake on a lower oven rack for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; continue to bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 618 calories, 44g fat (18g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2018
This is a great version of a classic! For a quicker option, I used a pre-made crust...still tasted great.
Nov 20, 2017
I prebaked my crust & this came our beautifully. I did cut back on the amount of bacon but it still was full of flavor & enjoyed by my whole family.
Oct 23, 2011
Modify w/Canned Evaporated Milk for 1/2&1/2 Cream.) Salt.Less Bacon~Centre Cut is 70 mgs.per slice.on Salt.Less Swiss lowers numbers too.2 Eggs&equilvalant of Egg Whites for other Two.Crust doesn't require Salt.always in Other Food items.It still comes out Delicious!
Nov 14, 2010
For a little change, try using loose hash browns mixed with a little butter. Place in pie pan. Put in oven till hashbrowns are brown. Then place all the rest of ingredients in & bake till it is set. So good!
Aug 17, 2010
I wish I'd pre-baked the crust a few minutes before adding the filling -- the bottom was soggy. I used red pepper flakes instead of nutmeg.
Apr 19, 2010
I've not made the crust portion of this recipe opting to use pre-made pie crusts but the filling is excellent. I prefer to use ham instead of bacon.
Oct 16, 2009
a great recipe as is, but also a perfect base for using up any leftover veggies or whatever-we have this quiche every couple of weeks
May 3, 2009
Excellent! We love this recipe. I double the recipe and pour it into a greased 9" x 13" glass dish without the crust and serve it for Sunday Brunch. I also use Real Bacon bits 6 oz. instead of cooking bacon. Tastes great!!
Jan 23, 2009
I put all kinds of things in my quiche like ham ,sausage brocolie, spinach,or tomatoes and I always use the quiche lorraine recipe.
Sep 7, 2008
hi can i change the bacon to ham.