Garden Vegetable Quiche
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 frozen pie shell (9 inches)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Let pastry shell stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and squash in butter until tender. Add spinach and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Spoon into crust; top with cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt, rosemary and pepper until blended; pour over cheese.
- Cover edges of crust loosely with foil. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 369 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 22, 2018
This was so easy to make and delightfully light and tasty. I used a crust recipe from Allrecipes website that had flour, butter, grated cheddar, and I also added rosemary. It was delicious with this recipe. The quiche itself was YUMMY! I will certainly make this a standard for quiche in our home, and thank you for this recipe. Don't use a regular 9" pie pan, as it won't fit. Try it, you'll love it.
Feb 20, 2017
Reduce whipping cream to 1.5 C and use a deep dish pie shell. To reduce spillage, I put pie shell with cheese and veggies on the pulled-out baking rack, then poured in the egg mixture. Okay to use half and half. I substituted 2 asparagus spears for squash.
Jul 14, 2014
This was delicious served with the Tomato Mozzarella Sauté from the same issue. The only change I made was to substitute zucchini for the mushrooms. I found that I had enough of the egg/cream mixture to make a second quiche; but unfortunately only had one pie crust.
Apr 12, 2014
I only changed mixing Swiss and cheddar instead of only Swiss and it was fantastic. My daughter especially likes how light and fluffy it is.
Jul 23, 2011
Modified it a bit. Omited the crust b/c we wanted to have it w/ english muffins. Added 1/2 lb. cooked turkey sausage after the spinach. Used sweet onion instead of red onion. Also did not have fresh rosemary so I used dried and it still worked good! Yummy!