Asparagus Tomato Quiche
Just in time for the first delicious crop of asparagus comes a recipe from Dorothy Hussey of Bishop, California that features those savory stalks. "It might look difficult," she divulges, "but it's actually simple to make."—Dorothy Hussey, Bishop, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 10 fresh asparagus spears
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 6 slices
- Line unpricked pie shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven; reduce heat to 350°. Cut six asparagus spears 4 in. long for garnish; set aside. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-in. pieces; place in bottom of pie shell. In a bowl, beat eggs and flour. Add cream, salt, paprika and mustard; beat until smooth. Stir in cheese. Pour over asparagus. Bake for 30 minutes. Arrange asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Place tomatoes in between asparagus spears.
Originally published as Asparagus Tomato Quiche in Crafting Traditions March/April 1996
Jul 19, 2018
This is great recipes, I did it just as it said. My family loved it. We have so many tomatoes this time of year.
Oct 17, 2010
I used an Italian cheese mixture instead of the Swiss.