Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
My sister-in-law, who is a dietitian, shared these buttermilk mashed potatoes with me. The garlic and buttermilk in these smooth mashed potatoes that are better for you than typical versions that include lots of butter. —Stephanie Bremson of Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, broth and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat buttermilk until warm. Drain potatoes and garlic; mash with buttermilk. Stir in the onions, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 133 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Oct 11, 2019
These potatoes had a very good rich taste. I will make these again!
Oct 5, 2013
easy and amazing! will make again :)
Feb 17, 2010
these mashed potatoes are amazing!!! very yummy! i will definitely make these again!