Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brandy, optional
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, water, butter, lemon peel, vanilla and brandy if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 61 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Apr 15, 2012
Very good. The bit of lemon zest did the trick. They taste so good.
Feb 6, 2011
Super simple and they were so delicious! My grandson said that they reminded him of funnel cakes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.