Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, green chilies, brown sugar and seasonings. Sprinkle top with bacon. Bake, covered, 60-70 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 349 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 1183mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 12g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 16, 2015
These are easy and delicious! Even better the next day.
Jun 29, 2015
Wonderful recipe! This is definitely a keeper for us. It has just enough *zip* to make it interesting.