Cowboy Calico Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard; add to meat mixture. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 326 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 10g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 12, 2018
Delicious! When I took them to a family function...my brother wouldn’t stop eating them!
Dec 30, 2017
Tebecca, lima beans and butter beans are two different beans. Each has its own distinctive flavor.
Dec 24, 2017
Very, very good. Always take this to a Christmas eve family potluck, and come home with an empty pot. But this year I have some leftover (hard to believe) bbq baby back ribs, and instead of hamburg, I wonder------. To Rebecca ...no I don't think they're the same thing. Certainly don't taste the same. I like to use baby butter beans, and a splash of maple syrup.
Nov 28, 2017
I am wanting to make this dish but am wanting to know why the recipe would call for 16 ounces of butter beans and 15.25 oz of lima beans. Aren't they the same thing? If the intention is to add two cans, why wouldn't it call for 2-16 oz cans of either lima or butter beans?
Oct 4, 2017
I love this recipe. I especially like you can use any kind of beans you have on hand but you do need the pork and beans. Yummo
Nov 24, 2016
I made a double batch for a church supper. Everyone loved them. So I have a pot on now to have for myThanksgiving dinner.
Oct 13, 2016
I like these beans! I've made them about 10 times, Sweet, sour, meaty, Good!
Jun 3, 2016
Sep 2, 2015
Jun 23, 2015
Love this recipe, and so do my guests! Have made many times...sometimes adding a bit of crumbled bacon as well. I mix the bean variety too. Great dish to bring to potlucks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.