Sweet N Sour Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makes20 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in the drippings until tender. Add brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beans and peas. Add onion mixture and bacon; mix well. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until heated through.
Jun 26, 2017
The beans are great!! Yum!
Sep 22, 2014
I made this dish over the weekend for my family and it was a hit! I loved the combination of the bacon and onion, mixed with the beans. The only variations I made was that I used a can of black beans instead of lima beans and I added 1 chopped red bell pepper. I served this as a side dish with BBQ chicken. This will be dish that I will make very often.
Aug 21, 2014
This recipe is a great "comfort" food. I just made a couple minor variations: I used a bag of frozen chopped onions instead of slicing a whole onion , and a bag of frozen baby lima beans instead of the canned. ( I also skipped the black eyed peas). YUMMY!
Jun 23, 2014
I really loved these beans They were fairly easy to make and the recipe makes a lot, this would be great for a gathering!! I used turkey bacon instead of normal bacon (it's what I had on hand) and they were delicious!
Sep 16, 2012
This is a great recipe. However, since our family is trying to go plant-based, the bacon was out. Instead I sauteed the onions in 2 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tbsp braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce), about 2 tsp garlic, 1/2 tsp paprica and liquid smoke to taste - I guess I prob used a little more than a tbsp. It was still awesome
Sep 30, 2011
We love this recipe! I substitute Butter Beans and Black Beans for the Lima Beans and Black-eyed peas. The flavors are great, not too tangy and not too sweet. I've made them many times after the first for family get togethers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.