Sweet N Sour Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makes20 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in the drippings until tender. Add brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beans and peas. Add onion mixture and bacon; mix well. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until heated through.
Jun 26, 2017
The beans are great!! Yum!
Sep 22, 2014
I made this dish over the weekend for my family and it was a hit! I loved the combination of the bacon and onion, mixed with the beans. The only variations I made was that I used a can of black beans instead of lima beans and I added 1 chopped red bell pepper. I served this as a side dish with BBQ chicken. This will be dish that I will make very often.
Aug 21, 2014
This recipe is a great "comfort" food. I just made a couple minor variations: I used a bag of frozen chopped onions instead of slicing a whole onion , and a bag of frozen baby lima beans instead of the canned. ( I also skipped the black eyed peas). YUMMY!
Jun 23, 2014
I really loved these beans They were fairly easy to make and the recipe makes a lot, this would be great for a gathering!! I used turkey bacon instead of normal bacon (it's what I had on hand) and they were delicious!
Sep 16, 2012
This is a great recipe. However, since our family is trying to go plant-based, the bacon was out. Instead I sauteed the onions in 2 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tbsp braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce), about 2 tsp garlic, 1/2 tsp paprica and liquid smoke to taste - I guess I prob used a little more than a tbsp. It was still awesome
Sep 30, 2011
We love this recipe! I substitute Butter Beans and Black Beans for the Lima Beans and Black-eyed peas. The flavors are great, not too tangy and not too sweet. I've made them many times after the first for family get togethers.