Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 51 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- Lightly fry bacon in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan. Add onion; cook until transparent. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring once or twice. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 169 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Jun 9, 2017
Family loved this. Easy & a great side dish. Even better on 2nd day. Will make again.
Feb 4, 2015
We absolutely loved this dish!
Jul 20, 2012
this a keeper, and definately will make again.
Aug 3, 2011
Great for potlucks, these beans keep well in a crockpot and are even better the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.