Calico Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Discard drippings. In the same skillet, cook beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; drain. Combine bacon, beef, onion and remaining ingredients in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 2, 2012
I did a google search for this calico beans recipe that my mom made when I was a child and of course found it at Taste of Home. My husband loves this slightly tangy recipe and the kids eat it right up. So delicious! The only change we make is using a full pound of ground beef rather than half a pound. We eat it as a main dish and add corn bread or crescent rolls on the side. This also works great in the crock pot.
Nov 5, 2010
Very delicious! My mother made this recipe and it has become a family favorite!
Jun 2, 2010
This is an old recipe and I have seen many variations. I don't put limas in mine. I also use bacon bits instead of bacon. It saves alot of time, and I increase the hamburgerto a pound to make more of a main dish. Ilike it less sweet so I use less sugar and more mustard etc. You play with it until you get it just right. This is by far my best recipe and Ialways get asked to bring it. A true winner!!!
Jun 2, 2009
I make this all the time ...it's one of my family favorites. I cahnge the kind of beans I use to pork and beans, black beans, pinto beans, northern beans etc. any kind of bean will do.