Calico Soup Mix
Loaded with beans of all shapes and sizes, this colorful combination cooks up into a satisfying soup that;ll stand by itself or serve as a side dish. Pens Rhonda Letendre from Epsom, New Hampshire, "Not only do I give the mix away as a gift, I keep it on hand to make for my family, too. They love it!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- BEAN MIX:
- 1-1/2 cups each dried lentils, baby lima beans, yellow split peas, red kidney beans, great northern beans, pinto beans, green split peas and navy beans
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2-1/4 quarts water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each dried marjoram, oregano, parsley flakes and Italian seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine beans; divide into six batches (2 cups each). Store in airtight containers. Yield: 6 batches (12 cups total).
- To prepare soup: Place one batch of bean mix in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain. Add 2-1/4 qts. water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Add ham, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings; return to boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 45-50 minutes.
Originally published as Calico Soup Mix in Crafting Traditions September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.