Veggie Bean Casserole
I serve this as a meatless main dish, but it also makes a nice side dish. It freezes and reheats well, so I’ll sometimes double the recipe. It has a colorful combination of carrots, corn, beans and tomatoes.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- In a large Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery, onion, green pepper in oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic. chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender.