Three Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine beans; set aside. In a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; drain. Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet; mix well. Stir beef mixture into beans.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 267 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 18, 2017
I think I first pulled this recipe from a magazine and then lost it, so I googled the ingredients and found the exact recipe. I made this for dinner tonight for my mom and myself. We both liked it. I usually end up changing something about a recipe, but I made this exactly as the recipe said to. We ate the beans on top of buttered rice. Yum yum!
Jan 6, 2014
Have not yet had chance to make. Sounds terrific for winter time.
Mar 22, 2009
I make almost the same recipe, only with butter beans and undrained pork and beans instead of the lima and garbanzo beans. We also use 3/4 cup sugar...and my results are always on the sweet side. I am glad to see that one of my favorite recipes is actually pretty healthy!
Feb 15, 2008
This dish has a lot of tang and zip. A little bit too much for our liking. More on the sour side of sweet and sour.