Green Bean and Cauliflower Casserole
I like to make a savory homemade cream sauce for the timeless green bean casserole. This time I added another vegetable for a delicious twist that sets my casserole apart from the rest! You can omit the vermouth if you'd like by substituting another half cup of chicken broth. —Ann Sheehy, Lawrence, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh cauliflowerets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup french-fried onions, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven, bring 12 cups water to a boil. Add cauliflower and beans; cook, uncovered, just until beans turn bright green, 1-2 minutes. Drain and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in french-fried onions; set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat butter and remaining oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in vermouth; cook, stirring until most of the liquid is gone. Whisk in broth and seasonings. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt, sour cream, ham and reserved vegetables. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture before serving.
To make a day ahead: Assemble the casserole and let cool to room temperature, then cover with foil and refrigerate. Bake, covered, for about 45 minutes, uncover and bake until bubbly, about 10 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 217 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Green Bean Casserole with a Twist in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.