Hearty Bean Casserole
This is an easy recipe to throw together for a hearty meal, and it's perfect to take to a potluck. It has a tangy sweet-and-sour flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in all of the beans.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; add to bean mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 337 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 1124mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Bean Casserole in Country Extra May 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.