Light Three-Bean Casserole
"This recipe came from a family reunion of mostly Mennonites. It is over 30 years old," Jane Bone shares from Cape Coral, Florida. "You can choose different beans, according to your family's tastes, but keep the pork and beans as a base. I often take a big pot of these to large gatherings or pitch-in-suppers, and everyone enjoys them."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute green pepper and onion until tender.
- Combine the beans in a large bowl. Gently stir in pepper mixture and bacon. Stir in the ketchup, pimientos, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard until combined.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 864mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 very lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.