Hearty Beef and Bean Casserole
"As a new wife and homemaker, I wanted to please my husband, so I created this dish from some of his favorite foods," recalls Sandi White of Indianapolis, Indiana. "It was a hit then...and 42 years later, it still is."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (8.3 ounces) baked beans
- 1/3 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 9 crackers)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the beans, cracker crumbs, ketchup, brown sugar, onion, barbecue sauce, mustard, salt and pepper; add beef.
- Pour into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Top with cheese; bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 428 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1232mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Bean Casserole in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005