Southwestern Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes and onion. Combine the remaining ingredients; stir into bean mixture.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Bake, uncovered, 15-30 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 178 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 6, 2013
It was quite the twist. I think we would have liked it if they weren't so sweet. It was just weird.
Dec 22, 2009
This recipe was so absolutely delicious! I love the sweet and tangy sauce. One substitution I made was garbonzo beans for the northern beans because thats what I had on hand. I made it up and ate it for a warm comforting lunch all week. I will be definitely be making this again... and again.